The Old Ferry House
During the 1860s and 70s, the Wall Street Ferry at the foot of Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights was a bustling place full of horse carts bringing in produce from the farms, carriages letting off passengers, and pedestrians going about their business. The ferries were essential for carrying people and goods back and forth between Brooklyn and New York in the days before the East River bridges. Construction on the Brooklyn Bridge began in the 1860s and was not finished until 1883.
Citation - Document 93
Courtesy of the Brooklyn Historical Society