In the 1890s, Mrs. Gelston of Shore Road donated a collection of books to open the Fort Hamilton Free Library, the predecessor of the Fort Hamilton branch. In 1901, it became a branch of Brooklyn Public Library and in 1905 it moved to its present building and became one of Brooklyn's first Carnegie libraries. Designed by architects Lord and Hewlett, the simple brick building features a limestone trim and a hipped roof with overhanging eaves, and windows placed high on the facade.
Chinese Theatre Works Presents: Hao Bang-Ah, Dog! - Traditional Puppet Show3:30 pm, Fort Hamilton Library