The Passport Offices at Central Library will be closed on May 19, 2019 due to construction.
You must apply in person if any of the following are true:
- You have never been issued a U.S. passport or
- You were under age 16 when your previous passport was issued or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was lost or stolen or
- Your name has changed since your previous U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
How To Apply
STEP 1: Complete and Print Form
Complete the DS-11 form at the Central Library.
Note: Do not sign the DS-11 form until the Passport Agent instructs you to do so.
STEP 2: Submit Completed Form + Additional Documents
Submit your completed application form and the following additional documents.
(For applicants 17 years old or younger, you must provide a birth certificate in addition to one of the following)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (one of the following)
- U.S. birth certificate
- Previous U.S. passport (can be fully-valid or expired, but must be undamaged)
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Certificate of a U.S. Birth Abroad
- Proof of Identity (one of the following; originals only—no copies)*
Note: The ID cannot be damaged and must readily identify you.
- Valid in-state driver's license (not temporary or learner's permit)
- Valid out-of-state driver's license (not temporary or learner's permit)
If you have an out-of-state license, you MUST provide an additional proof of identity
- Previous U.S. passport book or passport card (can be fully valid or expired, but must be undamaged)
- Certificate of Naturalization with identifiable photo attached
- Certificate of Citizenship with identifiable photo attached
- Government employee identification card (federal, state, county, municipal)
- Official U.S. military or military dependent identification card
- Current (valid) foreign passport
BPL offers photo services during passport center hours for a fee (see below). Applicants can also present one passport photograph taken within the past 6 months. Photos must be 2x2 inches in size (no exceptions). It should be front view with a white background. The applicant must be the only person in the photo.
*For additional acceptable proof of identity materials, please visit travel.state.gov.
STEP 3: Pay the Applicable Fees
TWO payments are required: One made payable to the U.S. Department of State and one made payable to Brooklyn Public Library.
Payment to the U.S. Department of State
|Age 16 and Older||Under Age 16|
|Regular Processing (4 - 6 weeks)|
|Passport Book and Card||$140||$95|
|Expedited Processing* (2 - 3 weeks)|
|Passport Book and Card||$200||$155|
|Overnight delivery (for Passport Book only)||+ $16.48 to total cost||
* The additional costs cover the expedited processing and express mail.
Payment to Brooklyn Public Library
|Execution Fee (required):||$35 for each application form|
|Photo Fee (optional):||$18 for two photos of the same customer|
You may combine payments to the Library in one money order if there is more than one application.
Payment to the U.S. Department of State must be in the form of personal checks or money orders (no start checks accepted).
Payment to Brooklyn Public Library can be in the form of money orders, postal money orders, and credit/debit cards; payment made by debit or credit card will appear as Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) on your statement. We do not accept American Express at this time).
Cash is not accepted.